Friday, December 21, 2007

Just in time for Christmas

I have barely blogged in the last two or three weeks, but I have a good excuse - really I do! As I have shared many times on this blog, I am a freelance writer, working most of the time from home. Occasionally though I am asked to take on a project that forces me to work in the 'real' world and be among adults all day long. One such project came up at the end of November. I saw an ad on craigslist for a technical writer with experience in Robohelp and Framemaker. I happen to have experience in both so applied. The ad stated it was a 30 day contract so I knew it was short-term. Within 30 minutes of my email being sent, I received a call, and 4 days later I was driving off to San Marcos a small College town about 45 miles north of San Antonio. The commute has not been bad, I left early enough in the morning that I avoided most traffic and same in the afternoon.

I worked for a small company called DNP Photo. Well, I say small but apparently they are a force to be reckoned with in the world of photolabs, and photo kiosks. I have been in the Info Dev (Information Development) department for the last 30 days working on technical manuals.

Today however is my last day. I have to say this has been one of the most enjoyable contracts I have completed; the people are hard working but easy going. The IT department was on the ball as well. Within an hour of my arrival the first day they had my email set up, all the programs I needed loaded and a phone on my desk.

As I drive home tonight I know I will be thanking God for this opportunity - the extra cash for the Christmas season has come in very handy, and the experience to freshen up on my technical writing skills was wonderful as well.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home