Monday, December 03, 2007

I Did It (one more time)

If you read my blog consistently you'll know that I have been a gestational surrogate twice, once in 2005 and again in 2006-2007. The first time I delivered a healthy set of twins (a boy and a girl) and in April 2007 I delivered a healthy, HUGE boy for a second couple. Count so far - 5 of my own kids, 3 kids for other people.

The babies I carry are not genetically related to me - I could never relinquish a part of me. I was a poor student when I gave birth to Warrick, and if I couldn't bear to part with him, there is no way I would give up a child now at a time where we can afford kids. The babies I have carried belong 100% to the parents who are unable, for a variety of reasons, to carry their baby.

I had planned on the last baby being my final pregnancy but several factors changed my mind. First off I saw my OB six weeks after my last delivery and she teased me that I looked so good, I could have another two or three pregnancies with no problem. That same weekend I travelled up to Dallas to meet the owner of the surrogate agency I have worked with since the end of 2003. When I saw Merritt, the owner, she said, "Oh Cori. Please tell me you'll do another surrogacy! I have the sweetest couple who meet all your criteria and they live only about 10 minutes from you!" I called Terry, who truth be known, had been cajoling me to do another surrogacy just days after Jackson arrived. Of course he said yes and we set up a meeting.

On June 1st we met one of the nicest couples we could hope to befriend. They are younger than us and have been trying to conceive for seven years. At the end of the meeting we both agreed to move forward. As with the surrogacy experience patience is the name of the game. We had some delays but this morning the day finally dawned! The doctor retrieved eggs from the mother on Friday, and today we transferred two really good embryos over to me.

Why do I do this? Here's why:
Jackson

And:
Twins Turn Two

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home