Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankful For...

Before 1994 and my marriage to Terry I had never been part of a Thanksgiving ritual. Thanksgiving, the way it is celebrated in North America is truly a unique tradition. South Africa used to have 'Day of the Vow' that was celebrated on December 16th, but it was abolished a while back; and anyway, it was nothing like Thanksgiving here!

However this is one holiday I have unashamedly and wholeheartedly embraced. Every year I anticipate it and look forward to the cooking and preparing of the meal. This year was no different, although it was just the seven of us. We had planned on going to Carrollton to see Richard and Star (and G-Grandma Marie) but several things came up that prevented the trip. I planned on getting a turkey for our family, but Terry asked me to buy a ham instead. I was glad, I am not a huge fan of turkey anyway, so purchasing a ham was definitely better. One item I do not like, but get for the rest of the family is pumpkin pie. I even sometimes bake them for the family - but this year I just bought one as I was not in the mood to bake something I don't care for!

This afternoon as we sat at our beautifully decorated table (Terry set it and it looked lovely) and went around the table asking everyone what they were thankful for I was reminded again how wonderful it is to live here in the United States; and how thankful I am to have my husband, my kids, my extended family, our church. Most of all though, I am eternally grateful to my Lord Jesus Christ for all that he has done for me, and for all he means to me.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:55 AM , Blogger JC said...

Isn't God good! American's not perfect, but it's such a wonderful place. Glad you're here!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home