Friday, November 02, 2007

He's 18

Standing in the card aisle, trying to pick out a card, I was overwhelmed with emotion when I realised that my 'baby', my oldest child is now officially an adult. He has been adult-like for several years, graduating early, moving out this summer, working, studying at College, but when he needed something legal to be done, we still had to sign papers and give our permission. All that ended on November 1st.

Those who know me best know I am not a person who cries easily - it takes a lot to bring a tear to these eyes! But as I stood in the aisle yesterday I have to admit to choking up a bit at the thought of my son being 18. He can vote, he can get married, (hopefully not for a while still!) he can get drafted(!) and I cannot now put a halt to it, even if I wanted to.



Warrick has matured into a fine young man; filled with wisdom and grace; filled with a love of the Lord and for people. He is remarkably even-tempered, and I have joked that when I grow up I want to be just like him!



I cannot imagine who I would be if it were not for Warrick. I was single when he was born, and he was four when Terry and I married and Terry adopted him. Warrick got the best dad any child could ever want. A lot of who I am was shaped in those early years as a single mother, choosing to look after my baby and putting his needs above my own. I thank the Lord every day for Warrick.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:34 PM , Blogger pixel_pusher said...

I have to admit that it grips my heart to come to the realization that he no longer needs us- that our little energetic "Tut" has matured and is now beginning his own life's journey. How bittersweet it is; I 've always said that my job as a parent is to raise our kids so they'll grow up to leave the nest with confidence, but it's painful to realize he's pretty much there now. He's becoming a finer man than I could ever have hoped to raise. Go get 'em, Warrick!

 
At 2:55 PM , Blogger JC said...

I remember the first time I met you and Warrick- you were single and he was just a pre-schooler. It's been so much fun the glimpses I've had watching him grow up from a pre-schooler, kids choir-"wise-guy", teenager, then in pictures as a young adult. Now the phatom child needs his own blog...and not a myspace! (although he probably already has one)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home