Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Can't It Head West?

Can't the rain head out to the west? California is experiencing drought or so I hear, meanwhile we have gone barely a day without precipitation. This has become my new wardrobe staple.




And this is what the sky looks like most of the time!






I know I should not complain seeing that last year we had all sorts of water restrictions and the Edwards Aquifer (where San Antonio pulls its water) was running very low. (This photo is of the San Antonio River downtown, part of the water system.)


I can't even cut my grass at the moment! Well, that is not strictly true - I cut my front lawn and side lawn on Monday, just a scant five days since the last time. But my back yard is flooded. There has been so much rain my grass is waterlogged and there are pools of water everywhere. Of course the grass hasn't stopped growing, and it's amazing that in one week it could grow so fast! I just need two or three days without rain so the yard can dry a bit. Yesterday I hoped against hope that we would not have rain - no luck; and today although the morning was sunny the afternoon brought with it a rip snorter of a thnderstorm that lasted a good two to three hours. Flash flood warnings are now almost commonplace because we hear them pretty much every other day.

My kids are even getting sick of it - mostly because I have told them they can't play in the back right now, so Hayley asked me check the forecast. Doesn't look promising: for the next 10 days there is a 60% chance of rain every day, and the temperatures are low for San Antonio at this time of year. We will not get above 87 for the foreseeable future.

Anyone in California want to come and bottle up some of this rain and take it back with them?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home