Thursday, June 21, 2007

Spoilt?? No - Not us!

Last week Lauri, the first mom I carried for, called me to set up a barbeque date for our families. I haven't seen the twins in a few months so it will be good to see them again. At the end of the conversation she mentioned that she and Wendall wanted to treat us to a weekend away! He uses a business card for all his practice purchases and they have accumulated quite a few points. As a result they are giving us a weekend at either one of these downriver hotels: Watermark Hotel or at La Mansion. They are both four-star hotels! Here are a couple of photos of the Watermark guest suites:






































And here is one of the guest suite at La Mansion (these are just the standard rooms!)
















Now Terry and I are looking for a weekend we can get away. I think the weekend after July 4th will be our best bet - just imagine, two whole nights away with no kids... just think of the fun we can have! We have to decide which one we want to stay at - La Mansion is known for its stately, olde world elegance whereas the Watermark is almost brand-new. They have completely different atmospheres - choices, choices.

On a completely different front - once more the Smelker family have become victims to cuteness! Last Thursday Terry left for work and 5 minutes later he was back. I happened to be outside sweeping when he pulled in. "What did you forget?" I asked.
"Nothing," He said coming around the van, "Instead I found this." He was holding a little black kitten!

Apparently he was about to go under the overpass to get onto the freeway when he saw this little kitten right in his lane! It is at a 4-way stop with the freeway exit on one side and our HUGE sub (over 1,000 houses) on the other. It is a wonder the kitten hadn't been run over. He stopped and another car stopped too right next to the kitten so that it was no longer in danger of getting hit. Terry picked him up and he was shaking like a leaf and also panting - he was so hot - the poor baby!

What makes me mad is this is not a kitten who was born in the fields. He is fairly well-nourished, but the most telling feature is he has no fleas whatsoever and is also used to people. Some one dumped him!! Ithink someone from one of the neighbourhoods saw the couple of acres of land that line our sub and dumped him thinking he'd land up in someone's back yard, but instead he landed on a four lane entrance ramp to the busiest freeway in San Antonio!! GRRRRR!!

Anyway, initially both Terry and I agreed we could have no more cats! In fact we just spent $65 getting Drake neutered this weekend. Well, I saw the writing on the wall when Terry was reluctant to leave the little one and go to work. And when he named the kitten I knew he was not leaving this house again! It has taken him very little time to adjust - he spent the first day on a towel under my bathroom vanity but since then has taken over the house.

I took him to the vet last Friday and apart from a case of round worm (which is very common in kittens) he was given a clean bill of health. He was approximately 5 weeks old (as I had thought when I first saw him) but he is on the petitie side. Puma has now made himself a part of the family. Drake and he have become best buddies and are constantly play fighting with each other. I was concerned about bringing in another kitten, but he is no threat to the hierarchy already formed. However, I, the perennial cat lover am putting my foot down - this is positively the last cat we are getting!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:02 PM , Blogger pixel_pusher said...

"I, the perennial cat lover am putting my foot down - this is positively the last cat we are getting!"

Yeah right! ;-)

 
At 11:36 PM , Blogger JC said...

lol- love the blog make-over! Have fun on your weekend getaway! I hope you enjoy every minute!

Where is iMuse?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home