Thursday, September 15, 2005

Miracles DO Happen



Ok, in order for people to get the full impact of this story, I need to give some background.

When our youngest son Carson was 2 years old, he was diagnosed with Autism. At the time he showed all the classic symptoms including no language, living for long periods of time in his own world, getting upset when his schedule was changed even a bit. It was a hard time for our family, but Terry and I resolved that he would get better, and we signed up for several programmes offered through the school districts, and we prayed over him daily.

Jump ahead to this school year. Carson is in a regular Kindergarten classs, he has no special interventions, he gets no special help and although he still gets speech therapy, you would never know this child had received a devastating diagnosis three years ago this week. You'd think this would be enough - right? And don't get me wrong, Terry and I are thrilled, we weren't sure he'd ever get to this stage.

But, it gets even better! Carson has shown little interest in books, if I read to the other kids he sits on the periphery playing. He would bypass the books on the shelves to play with trains. I noticed this summer though that he pulled books from the shelves, mostly to count the page numbers. However, this afternoon I realised that he was reading a book, and not just an easy primer either! Carson taught himself to read! Terry and I have not sat down with him to teach him, his teachers have not got to the point of teaching the kids - he did this all by himself!

I can only come to the obvious conclusion that prayer works! Granted, Terry and I worked hard with him, but I don't believe Carson would be where he is today without the prayers of our family and many friends. And to those who have prayed for our son, we say 'Thank you'.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallelulia!!!!!! Carson, we are sooooo proud of you!!!!!! Hoorah!!!!
We love you!!!!! We love your Dad & Mom too!!!! They are SUPER Special Parents who love you very much!!!! Maybe when we see you next you can read some stories to us......
Grandpa Dick & Grandma Star

 
At 12:57 PM , Blogger JC said...

Wow- I just love the Carson story. It keeps getting better and better. God is so faithful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home