Monday, August 27, 2007

Smelker Smalls Start School

Backpacks are packed, lunches made and kids sent off to school. I drove the three younger ones to school this morning, and unloaded their scooters from the van. This afternoon I will walk down to the school (with the dog) and fetch them. It's good excerise and we look forward to the walks home. I then returned and picked up Teagan for her first day. From tomorrow she will take the bus to school but for this first day we wanted to drive her, especially since she missed the orientation on Saturday because of Hayley's birthday party.

Carson came blearily downstairs this morning and whined, "But it's still night-time outside." No more sleeping in until 7:30 or 8:00 for this boy - 6:15 came all too soon for them. By the time they finished breakfast and brushed their teeth it was daylight outside though.


So begins another year of homework, plays, safety patrol duty (for Hayley) choir, parent-teacher conferences, school trips and volunteering (I am on the PTA this year, ostensibly just to do the newsletter, but we'll see how many more things I am 'volunteered' to do!) Each season is bitter-sweet; I have looked forward to having the house to myself again, to enjoy the solitude and silence, but I also miss the hurly-burly of my four, plus all the neighborhood kids.


Here's to a great year for all my friends and kids!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:33 AM , Blogger mrswilly said...

what a great looking crew you have. I have to say I LOVE how you said you went to "fetch" them. How very British of you! ha ha enjoy the empty house. We have one week to go and I am not ready!

 
At 10:50 PM , Blogger JC said...

You guys are all so lucky! Schools in full swing here.
I thought that kids were supposed to fetch things...not us parents!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home