Tuesday, January 09, 2007

We Have A Tiger In The House


Back in 1993 Terry introduced me to what I think are some of the best cartoon strips since "Peanuts" and that is the genius of Watterson's character Calvin and his sidekick Hobbes. Initially Warrick fell in love with Calvin & Hobbes and read all of the books that we bought or borrowed. Then for a while I was the only one who really read the books.

However about 6 months ago the younger 4 kids discovered the wonders of Calvin and his tiger, Hobbes and since then the comic books have become even more dog-eared, and I ordered some new ones when the elementary school held one of their fundraisers. Just last week at the library I found a 600-page hardcover copy of several of the books compiled into one copy. I have to admit to sitting on the couch for 2 hours last night reading cartoons that are brand-new to me. And the kids all fight about whose turn it is to read the book next - gotta love something that will get the kids reading.

I understand why Watterson stopped drawing his cartoons, all good things must come to an end; but he really did capture the essence of a six-year old boy and his imagination.

If I was a poet I would write an ode to Watterson, but seeing I am not, I will just give my heartfelt thanks for bringing so many hours of entertainment into the Smelker household.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son was nearly addicted to Calvin and Hobbes as a child. It fired his imagination to the point that he started cartooning and that grew into fine arts degrees and a life as a working artist. Thank God for these books that set my son up for life. Glad others love them too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home