Friday, January 12, 2007

In Memory Of...

my aunt, Iris Matthews, nee Lennon. She passed away yesterday, January 11th 2007. She will be sorely missed by my Uncle Tom, my two cousins Denise and David, their spouses and her grandchildren.

My Aunt Iris loomed large in my life which is funny seeing that for 32 years of my life I lived over 6,000 miles away from her, first in South Africa and then the United States. When someone mentions the word 'lady' my Aunt always came to mind. A small, black-haired, blue-eyed Welsh woman, my Aunt was the epitome of a true British lady. She was unfailingly kind, and seemed to live with the mantra that if you couldn't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. She always put others before herself, and her door was always open to family and friends.

Aunt Iris had struggled with her health for many years. Rheumatoid Arthritis had robbed her of mobility and every day was a fight against it. My uncle Tom converted one of their closets into a walk-in shower for her as getitng in and out of a bath was a sheer impossibility. She was on strong steroids to help contain the pain and to give some range of movement.

In December she was diagnosed with cancer and started chemo. Her body reacted to the chemo and she rapidly went downhill. Doctors think the years of drugs for the arthritis had scarred her lungs so badly that she was unable to handle the chemo as well as the surgery she had undergone to remove the cancer.

Her 72nd birthday was coming up on February 6th, and it will be strange not calling her on her birthday, or any other time. It is weird to know there are no more letters coming from her; or cards for the kids with £5 enclosed for me to buy them a toy, or something 'for their stocking'.

Rest in Peace Aunt Iris. I will see you on the other side soon enough!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:26 PM , Blogger JC said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt.

 
At 4:38 PM , Blogger bethany said...

just wanted to drop by and say hi. i absolutely love reading your blog. your family seems absolutely amazing.

and i'm so sorry about your aunt.

<3 Bethany

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home